July 01, 2017

Strawberry Blueberry Jam - simple and divine!

Making Strawberry Blueberry Jam is no rocket science. In fact it is so super simple that I was seriously considering it unworthy writing a blogpost. But I thought, what if you have never tried this? Simply didn't think of it? This is such a great combination for a jam jar and if you haven't tried it wait no longer. I made 4 different varieties on Monday and this one is my most favourite! I actually only wanted to write about blackberry peppermint jam and blackberry dark chocolate jam. (they will follow) But over the week I fell in love with the strawberry blueberry combination that I simply had to share. Seriously, try it with a dollop of cream cheese on a pancake and you will understand what I am talking  about.


Are your taste buds ready for this?
You need:
500 grams of strawberries. If you have access to wild ones, trow them all in, they make the strawberry taste so much more intense!
500 grams of blueberries



500 grams of gelling sugar, in the US jelly sugar. (For those new to jam making that is the one with added pectin, where you get away with only using half of the usual amount of sugar. Pectin is a natural gelling agent. You can seemingly make your own pectin out of apples, but I haven't tried that yet. If you have made your own pectin I would love to hear about your experience!)
and the juice of half a lemon



Fill your 4 ingredients into a saucepan and bring to boil, keep stirring! Once the fruit softens whizz it until it looks smooth and homogenous. Boil and keep stirring for another 3-5 minutes until you get a  positive gelling test ( a drop of jam on a saucer, should gell within a minute). Then fill immediately into sterilised glas jars. A detailed how-to for sterilising jam jars and any jam making or canning basics you can find here.


I hope you enjoy the strawberry blueberry divineness in a jam jar as much as I do!



10 comments:

  1. Do you want the cheetah and I sample and review your jam? We only ask that some homemade peanut butter and bread is included....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I foresee a very awesome PBJ Sandwich in your future! But for a fresh sample (Bread and PB) you would need to do the sampling here... 3-6 weeks in the post would make a mouldy "treat"....

      Delete
  2. My mouth started watering when I read the title! There's nothing like homemade jam. And I don't why more people don't make it. It's dead easy and you know what went in to it. You've inspired me to make a couple of things once I move :)
    www.thinkmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree homemade jam is the best! And very simple to make. Reading the ingredient list in some bought ones, you really do not want to eat them... I hope your move will soon be done and over with.

      Delete
  3. It's 1 am over here, and I'm now craving some, haha. Nothing beats homemade, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe only homegrown and homemade? Sorry for the cravings ;)

      Delete
  4. I've never made jam before! I'm not a fan of blueberries but I think mixed with the strawberries, this would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really delicious with a piece of bread

    ReplyDelete